Blogspot left room for a second Header, but they didn't leave enough room to type everything I wan

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New Pet Peeve.

I’ve got a new pet peeve: People’s damn e-mail signatures. I don’t know if it’s people being pompous, or just flat out retarded. But I don’t care to read all that crap you have with your name at the end of your e-mails.

Things I need in your e-mail signature:
*Maybe your company. Maybe. I don’t need to know it now if I haven’t already learned who I’m working with; I’m sure as heck not going to learn it from your e-mail signature.

*Your position. Within reason. Don’t draw this out. Limit, 2 words. If you can’t tell me your position in 2 words or less, you’re in a made up position or you’re typing us crap to make yourself feel important.
So no:
Executive Auditor of Software Production and Management Coordinator
What the fuck is that? You’re a secretary and play solitaire all day?

*Maybe your department. If it matters. Maybe. Again, 2 word limit here. And don’t double dip here with the position description either. So no:
Vice President of Process Engineering
Process Engineering Department

Well no shit.

*Your phone number(s). Just list any important applicable ones with area codes.

Things I don’t need in your e-mail signature:

*NOT YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS. For God’s sake don’t type me your e-mail address…………..in………………..an………………e-mail. I happen to be the proud owner of one of those new fangled computer thingees and my e-mail program has a REPLY button.

*Some super overblown logo from your company. And in some people’s case, an actual animated (.gif I assume) piece of crap picture. I have some people that I converse with regularly via e-mail that have roughly 500k (half a Mb!) in e-mail crap in their e-mail. Like, if they were to send me an e-mail, that the body of the e-mail said, “hi”. The e-mail is half a friggin Mb. Really? Stop with that. Just stop.


To finalize, here’s an example of what the world needs from your signature:

HokieJayBee
BorderlineTMI Blogger
Blogspot
(757) 867 5309

No comments:

Post a Comment